The term “the new normal” is being used to refer to changes that people around the globe are facing in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. One way this change is being felt is that people are shifting to a work from home or teach from home environment. This has led to an increase in energy consumption and higher energy bills.
When you work from home, your air conditioner or heater is running all day. This can lead to a 50% increase in your electric bill. Your computers need to charge more frequently, printers are running, and your lights stay on longer. All of these “little things” add up.
Thankfully, there are several things that you can do to quickly and easily reduce energy costs while working from home. These include:
1. Ditch the Desktop and Use a Laptop. Did you know that your desktop computer consumes more energy than your laptop? When possible, use your laptop in an energy saving mode to reduce energy consumption.
2. Use a Power Strip. When your devices are turned off but plugged into a wall socket, they are still consuming small amounts of electricity. You can stop this by plugging your individual devices into a power strip and then turning the power strip off or unplugging the power strip at the end of the day. This completely disconnects your devices from the source of electricity.
3. Use Power the Saving Mode on Devices. Many are surprised to learn that by simply using the power saving mode on your computer you can reduce your energy bill by up to $100 each year.
4. Don’t Forget to Turn Things off. This is the most obvious tip, but it is easy to forget. When you leave a room, turn the lights off. When you are not using a printer, computer, scanner, or other devices, turn them off. Some mistakenly believe that it consumes more energy to turn a device on and off than it does to leave it running. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
There are other energy saving steps you can take that may require more time or a higher upfront investment. However, over the long haul the investment pays off. For example, purchase home office equipment and machinery that have the Energy Star label. This will drastically reduce your energy usage. Schedule an energy audit. Use the information you receive to change your energy use habits. You will be surprised by the amount of money you save.
If you’re really committed to saving energy and you are ready to take things to the next level, try these tips:
1. Only run your wash machine if it’s completely full. This means that you are washing more clothing using less water and less electricity.
2. Learn when your energy company charges peak rates, such as in the early evening or early afternoon. Adjust your routine to only use certain appliances during off-peak hours.
3. Enjoy a night by turning off all the lights in your home, disconnecting your smartphone, and experiencing a movie theater-like vibe.
4. Schedule candlelit dinner nights. Turn off the lights and enjoy eating by candlelight.
When it comes to saving energy, even the small things count. However, if you are looking to make a serious dent in your energy usage while dramatically lowering your electricity bill, use solar panels provided by Solar Kings.
Learn more about the services we offer and how they can help you save on your energy costs by scheduling an online appointment with us today.